"Over 100 Years of Dedicated Service and Excellent Care"
Stack Veterinary Hospital is the oldest practice in Onondaga County
Dr. John Stack established Stack Veterinary Hospital after graduating from Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1910. Dr. John Stack’s dream of Stack Veterinary Hospital started at their family home on Bellevue Avenue. The Erie Canal was the main source of transported goods in the area at this time, the need for veterinary care arose for the animals that were used in the process. Dr. John Stack tended to the large animals on the canal while his practice grew and also cared for the police and fire department horses. In carrying on the family tradition, Dr. John Stack was joined at his practice by his son Dr. Robert Stack in 1950.
Dr. Robert Stack came to the practice after serving three years in World War II. After returning from his service he pursued his education at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine graduating in 1950. As the need for a larger practice grew the Stack Veterinary Hospital on Velasko Road was built. This hospital was the first modern veterinary hospital in the Syracuse area. Dr. Robert Stack continued the tradition of providing high quality care and maintaining close personal relationships with his clients. While continuing to upgrade the facility to coincide with advances in veterinary medicine, he never lost sight of the dedication and compassion that his father, Dr. John Stack, gave to the community. Dr. Robert Stack’s commitment to the community, venture for excellence, devotion to pet owners, and compassion for animals is reflected in the Stack Veterinary Hospital today.
Dr. Robert Stack's son, Dr. Daniel Stack joined the practice in 1988 after graduating from North Carolina University College of Veterinary Medicine. In March of 1993, he became the third generation of veterinarians to take over leadership of Stack Veterinary Hospital. Dr. Daniel Stack carries on the values that founded Stack Veterinary Hospital, not only providing advanced veterinary medicine, but also close personal relationships between his staff, the clients, and the community. Dr. Daniel Stack has lead his team in making many advancements within the hospital including having Dr. Jan MacDonald join the practice in 1993 as a boarded surgeon, converting to digital radiology, and becoming the first certified Feline Friendly Hospital in Syracuse.
To read more about our history you can check out the following article from dvm360 magazine: Veterinary practice through the ages - Three generations of veterinarians, builders and carpenters keep this Syracuse, N.Y., practice thriving.